Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Treatment For Periodontal Disease




There are a few different treatment options that may be suggested when you first visit a periodontist. Periodontal disease is when bacteria build up below the gum line. If your general dentist has recommended you see a periodontist you have what is referred to as periodontal disease. This is an advanced bacteria disease where the pocket depths are deep and the general dentist or hygienist is no longer able to assess the health of your teeth.   As the disease worsens the depth of the pocket also increases. 

            Your periodontist may recommend a non-surgical procedure called root scaling and planning or they may advise you to have periodontal surgery. Periodontal surgery is when the periodontist cuts open the gum tissue, pulls it back and scrapes the bacteria and tarter that is below the gum line. When they are finished they will put the gum back in place and suture the gum. This procedure can be very painful, require sutures and results in bleeding, along with many times, down time from work.  After you have periodontal surgery your periodontist will give you instructions to take care of your gums while they are healing. Remember you will need to go back to the periodontist in order for them to finish the other quadrants.


            An alternative method to traditional surgery is called LANAP laser surgery. Dr.Rice and her team have yielded very positive results from this type of therapy. To learn more, call them today.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that there were so many different treatment options for periodontal disease. I've heard to periodontal surgery, but I've never heard of root scaling. What exactly is involved in the root scaling procedure? This post has information about periodontal surgery, and LANAP laser surgery, but it doesn't have a description about root scaling. I would like to know more about it, since it's a non-surgical procedure.
    http://www.cumberlandperiodontal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel kind of ashamed that I had to look up what exactly a periodontist did and how it differed from a dentist. I think I am currently suffering from gum disease, but I just talk to my regular dentist about it when I go in for a check up. Should I talk to a periodontist to see what else I could do? This was a great post about treatment options for different diseases, but I don't think I have anything that severe yet. http://www.perioprecision.com

    ReplyDelete